THE FINEST NORFOLK MEATS DIRECT FROM NORFOLK TO YOUR DOORSTEP PURCHASE ONLINE OR VISIT OUR BUTCHERY NOW
Rosy Darling’s Extra Special Victoria Sandwich
Those of you that know or have met Rosy on the farm will probably know that she is a truly exceptional cook.
Until now her Victoria Sandwich recipe in particular has remained a closely guarded secret, however for something a little bit different this month she has kindly allowed us to publish it. To make this extra special use the Tea Lady’s Strawberry and Champagne Jam for the filling, absolutely delicious!
If you do try the recipe, please do let us know how you get on, we would love to hear your thoughts.
Mary Barrass, 82 years of age, the mother of my college friend and a renowned cook shared her secret of this recipe.
All In One Method
All the ingredients must be room temperature and I usually leave the eggs and margarine out of the fridge the night before.
THE OVEN MUST NOT BE PREHEATED!
- Weigh 4 eggs and weigh out the same amount of each of the following:
Self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
- Grease and base line two 21cm (8ins) sandwich tins
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and beat until smooth and creamy
- Divide the mixture equally between the two tins
- Place in the cold oven and then turn the oven to 160c (150c for fan assisted oven) Gas mark 3
- The cakes will take approximately 34 mins to cook and should leave a very faint indentation when lightly pressed.
- Line a cooling rack with kitchen roll sprinkled with castor sugar.
- Leave in the tin to cool slightly before turning out onto a cooling tray.
- The cakes will shrink slightly on cooling
- When cold sandwich together with either the The Tea Lady Strawberry and Champagne Jam or Mrs Darlington's Summer Fruits Jam and or cream and dust the top of the cake with icing sugar.