THE FINEST NORFOLK MEATS DIRECT FROM NORFOLK TO YOUR DOORSTEP PURCHASE ONLINE OR VISIT OUR BUTCHERY NOW
Beef Shin Ragu
- Cut beef shin into chunks and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large pot (eg casserole dish) over medium-high heat.
- Brown the beef in batches, then remove from the pot and set aside.
- In the same pot, sauté the onions & garlic (you can also add finely diced celery & carrots if you want to) and cook on low heat until softened (about 10 mins).
- Add tomatoes to the pot, breaking them up with your hands as you add.
- Return the beef to the pot and add the tomato puree, red wine, beef stock and thyme.
- Give everything a good stir and bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 2-3 hours or until the beef is tender. If you prefer, cook in a low oven or, if you want to use a slow cooker, reduce stock to 100ml and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Serve over pasta and sprinkle with grated parmesan, if liked.
2 lb (900g) beef shin, cut into chunks
Salt and pepper
2 tablespoons of oil (non-virgin olive oil or sunflower)
1 large onion, halved and sliced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 400g can of plum tomatoes
Tablespoon tomato puree
300ml good red wine
250ml beef stock (good cube is fine)
1 teaspoon of thyme leaves, chopped
pasta for serving