THE FINEST NORFOLK MEATS DIRECT FROM NORFOLK TO YOUR DOORSTEP PURCHASE ONLINE OR VISIT OUR BUTCHERY NOW
A Recipe for a shortcrust pastry flan/quiche base
If you are looking to make your own shortcrust pastry flan/quiche base here’s a recipe to help you out!
You can use this shortcrust pastry recipe to make a variety of pies, such as fruit pies, custard pies, or savoury pies like quiche. You can also use it as the base for other recipes, such as chicken pot pie or turkey and broccoli quiche.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour and salt.
- Cut the butter into the flour mixture using a pastry cutter or your fingers, until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add the ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and stir with a fork until the dough comes together. You may not need to use all of the water.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead it gently a few times until it is smooth.
- Shape the dough into a disc, wrap it in plastic wrap, and chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- When you are ready to use the dough, roll it out on a lightly floured surface until it is large enough to fit your pie dish.
- Carefully transfer the dough to the pie dish, and press it into the bottom and sides of the dish. Use a fork to crimp the edges of the Shortcrust pastry.
- Blind bake the Shortcrust pastry by preheating the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit, and placing pie weights or dried beans on top of the crust. This will prevent the crust from puffing up while it bakes. Bake the crust for 15-20 minutes, or until it is lightly golden.
- 300g all-purpose flour
- 100g unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-3 tablespoons ice water